Who can apply for Advance Assurance?
You are eligible to apply for Advance Assurance if you are:
- an SME, or fewer than 50 employees
- claiming R&D tax relief for the first time
- planning to invest in R&D or already have invested in R&D
- part of a group and none of the companies linked to you have made a claim before
- a company with an annual turnover limiting to £2 million or less
You can’t apply if you are:
- entered into a Disclosure Tax Avoidance Scheme (DOTAS)
- a corporate serious defaulter
- a part of a group that has already claimed for R&D tax relief
You can apply for Advance Assurance yourself through the online application or your agent can do it for you.
Required Information to Apply for Advance Assurance
To apply for Advance Assurance you’ll need:
- your company’s accounts
- your company‘s registration documents (from Companies House)
- HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) correspondence
- Details of previous tax returns (not needed for new companies)
- the name of a contact with direct knowledge of your R&D to discuss the application with HMRC
You are required to provide some basic information about your company and detailed information regarding your company’s R&D activities.